Ellen Bommarito Book Fund
The Ellen Bommarito Book Fund was established in 1998 by the family, friends and colleagues of Ellen Marie Bommarito (1957-1998) to honor her memory and provide financial assistance to students in the English Department's writing program. Awards from the fund are intended to help students purchase books and supplies needed in their studies.
Ellen Bommarito contributed significantly to the writing program over a span of two decades, beginning in the late 1970s as a peer-tutor in the Writing Center and continuing in the 1990s as a Lecturer in English who taught composition, technical writing and business communication. Ellen was instrumental in the creation of the English Department's technical writing major and minor. She was also an energetic and innovative director of the English Placement Examination. Beyond her duties in the English Department, Ellen served the University of Michigan-Flint and its students as the founding director of the Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Center, and as a faculty advisor in the Academic Advising Center. To all of her work, and especially to her teaching, Ellen Bommarito brought a rare combination of intellectual rigor, common sense, kindness and compassion. This award is intended as a small recompense to future writing students who might have known her but will never get the chance.
Funds will be awarded in the fall and winter semesters.
Applicants must be full or part-time students who have:
- Declared a Major in English with a Specialization in Writing, a Major in English with a Specialization in Technical Writing, a Minor in Writing, or a Minor in Technical Writing;
- Achieved junior or senior status;
- Completed at least one course in expository or technical writing at the 200-level or above; and
- Earned an overall UM-Flint grade point average of 3.0 or higher.
- Final selections will be based on scholastic merit, with emphasis on achievements in writing and the writing program.
- A recipient may receive no more than $150 a semester, with the funds directly paid by check to the recipient.
- No more than $300 will be awarded from the fund during a single semester.
- A committee of the Department of English, selected by the faculty of the Department of English, will administer the fund.
- Items purchased with the award will remain the property of the recipient.
Download an application (MS Word file) or stop by the Eng. Dept. to pick one up. Application deadlines are September 30 for the fall semester and January 31 for the winter semester.
Donations to the book fund may be made at any time by sending a check to:
Office of Development
The University of Michigan-Flint
Flint, Michigan 48502-2186
Checks should be made payable to "UMF Ellen Bommarito Book Fund."
(Donations qualify for the Public Contribution Credit on State of Michigan income tax returns.)