Peer Advisors are students who have returned from a study abroad experience, have deep appreciation for their cross-cultural experience and would like to encourage others to go abroad. Their anecdotes, advice, and cultural "expertise" are our best resource for prospective students. If you have told all your friends and families your study abroad stories and think that there's no one else out there who wants to hear them, think again! No matter how much information we try to provide students, what they really need is to hear what study abroad alumni have to say.
As a Peer Advisor, you may be asked to speak with prospective study abroad students, assist at program information meetings and give presentations to audiences interested in study abroad opportunities. Peer Advisors may also staff campus-wide events such as International Education Week, Welcome Week activities, and the Study Abroad Fair.
Who can be a Peer Advisor?
- Current UM-Flint students who have had an education abroad experience
What is expected of a Peer Advisor?
- Attend study fairs and information sessions
- Provide visual examples of their study abroad experience
- Answer questions students may have about a country or program
- Represent UM-Flint appropriately
- Have fun!