Designed to help new international students as they begin their studies at UM-Flint. Incoming international students will be paired with current UM-Flint students who guide them as they prepare for life at UM-Flint and Michigan residents. The mentoring process will begin once the new international students have been accepted to UM-Flint with an initial email and/or Facebook communication. This program is an exciting way to become acquainted with our new international students at UM-Flint and make great friends as well. The ultimate goal is the cultivation of long lasting friendships between people from all over the globe. This program is entirely volunteer-based.
Who can be a mentor?
- Current UM-Flint students (must be at least a sophomore)
- UM-Flint faculty & staff
What is expected of a Mentor?
- Each volunteer will be asked to mentor prospective international student(s)
- Communicate with your mentee(s) via email and/or Facebook before they arrive on campus
- Answer questions your mentee(s) may have about coming to America and UM-Flint
- Welcome and include your mentee(s) into UM-Flint life
- Be in weekly contact with your mentee(s) after arrival on campus
- Attend Fall and Winter social events with your mentee(s)
- Check in with a program representative once per term
- Represent UM-Flint appropriately
- Have fun!
Things to do with your Mentee
- Show them around campus
- Checkout the Student Development Center
- Visit the University Bookstore
- Attend Welcome Week activities
- Become acquainted with the local grocery store, bank, post-office, etc.
- Got to a local coffee shop
- Go to a movie