How to Bring a J-1 Exchange Visitor to Your Department: A Guide for UM-Flint Faculty
Inform Yourself about J-1 Exchange Visitor Status
Review the following information:
- Departmental Responsibilities for Hosting J-1 Exchange Visitors [PDF]
- Overview of J-1 Exchange Visitor Status
Work with the International Center to Prepare DS-2019 Request
- Prepare an invitation letter for the Exchange Visitor containing his or her name, dates and purpose of visit, and if applicable, details of U-M funding.
- Review and sign Department Responsibilities page in DS-2019 Request Form.
- If Exchange Visitor is an M.D., prepare a No/Incidental Patient Care letter by following the example in General Information About the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program and Instructions for Departments Requesting Form DS-2019 [PDF].
Maintain Communication with Administrative Contact throughout Program
- Update the International Center if/when you become aware of delayed arrivals, program cancellations, and corrections or updates to the DS-2019 so that he or she can notify the International Center.
- Respond to inquiries from the International Center about the whereabouts of exchange visitors who have not yet checked in, and any necessary supporting documentation.
- Work with your department contact to extend the validity of the DS-2019 document, if desired.
- Direct questions about the DS-2019 process first with the International Center as necessary.