Mandatory Immigrating Check-In for Scholars
Upon arrival to UM-Flint, all J-1 visiting scholars much check in at the International Center.
Required Immigration Documents
You must bring the original of the following documents:
- Your passport
- DS-2019 (page 1)
- I-94 card
- If you have J-2 dependents (spouse and children) who traveled with you to the U.S., bring their DS-2019s, I-94s, and passports, along with the photocopies of each as well.
All J-1 visiting scholars will also receive a brief orientation at the International Center. Topics include:
- Health insurance
- Immigration documents and regulations
- Completing your immigration process
The mandatory check-in applies to J-1 Professors, Research Scholars, Short-term Scholars, and Specialists.
- All exchange visitors who are issued Form DS-2019s for the purpose of either "begin a new program" or "transfer" are required to attend a mandatory check-in program at the IC in order to fully comply with DOS and SEVIS requirements
- It is important that departments communicate with the exchange visitor often and inform the IC immediately if the exchange visitor's arrival will be delayed more than 15 days after the begin date of the Form DS-2019 starting date can be amended
- IC is required by DOS and SEVIS to validate the exchange visitors arrival within 30 days of the program start date on the Form DS-2019. If the exchange visitor's SEVIS record is not validated within the 30 days, it will automatically become "invalid" and the exchange visitor will need to leave the U.S. immediately.