Windows XP Support
December 23rd, 2011, Um-Flint ITS stopped supporting Windows XP and Office 2003. This webpage has been created to better assist you in assuring that your operating system is up-to-date and supported by our offices.
The use of Windows XP SP2 after July 13th, 2010 exposes you potential risks. These potential risks include:
- Unsupported and unpatched environments are vulnerable to virus attacks such as Conflicker. Microsoft privides free security patches for supported products but not for unsupported products.
- Problem resolution services are provided for supported products. In the event that you encounter an issue/outage in your environment on an unsupported product, our technicians may not be able to help resolve this until you'be upgraded to a supported operating system.
Due to the risks listed above as well as technology advancements we will be dropping all support for Windows XP on both university and non-university owned computers as of December 23rd, 2011.
It is important to note at this point that while UM-Flint will no longer be supporting Windows XP at all, Microsoft will be continuing support for Windows XP Service Pack 3 through April 8th, 2014.
Office 2003 Support
Office 2003 support will also be ending at UM-Flint on December 23rd, 2011. This means that the Helpdesk and DCS will no longer support fixing problems with any Office 2003 application (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- For University computers a ticket can be placed to have your computer upgraded to Office 2010.
- For students, you are more than welcome to continue using Office 2003 or you can go to http://itstore.umflint.edu and purchase Office 2010 for $50.00 to upgrade your system.
What are your options?
- For Windows XP users with non-university computers if you decide you want to upgrade you will want to run the Windows 7 Upgrade advisor. (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=1b544e90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15) The upgrade advisor will tell you if your computer can handle Windows 7 and what version of Windows 7 to purchase.
- If you find that your computer will handle Windows 7 and you are a current student, facutly, or staff member, you can visit http://itstore.umflint.edu and purchase Windows 7 for $20.00.
- For Windows XP machines that are university owned please contact the ITS Helpdesk at 810-766-6804 or ITSHelpdesk@umflint.edu to have a ticket placed for your computer to be upgraded.
- Please note that if a hardware upgrade is required to update your computer's operating system, your department will be responsible for all costs involved.
- University owned computers that are not upgraded by December 31st, 2011 will be disconnected from the network to minimize the possibility that those computers could be compromised and/or used to infect the university's network.
- Do Nothing:
- You accept the risk of no security patches and no problem resolution support for these products running in your environment.
- University owned machines this would mean that the machine will no longer be supported by DCS as of December 31st, 2011.
What if I still have questions?
If you have any questions about the end of Windows XP and Office 2003 Support here at UM-Flint please feel free to contact the ITS Helpdesk at 810-766-6804 or ITSHelpdesk@umflint.edu for assistance.