The following logos are available for use by any school, college, administrative unit, or faculty or staff member in accordance with the following guidelines:
The University of Michigan “Block M” is one of the most recognized symbols in the world. To leverage this strong international presence, the UM-Flint logo makes use of the “Block M” as shown left:
- Simple, bold, graphic identifier for the University of Michigan-Flint
- Works well where space is limited ( apparel, promotional items, amidst a list of other logos — i.e. in a group of sponsor logos )
- Works well when attention is limited (billboards, posters, as icon in the corner of a video)
IMPORTANT: All University of Michigan logos must be accompanied by the Registered Trademark symbol ( ® ).
Block M–Flint with Wordmark
- Better suited than stand-alone “Block M – Flint” for print and web uses requiring a slightly more “prestigious” look and feel
- Well-suited for wider, horizontal spaces (letterhead, business cards, newsletters, print advertisments, fliers for academic events)
- Works well as a stand-alone identifier on items where overt marketing, advertising, or public relations is not the objective (academic matters, administrative or inner-office communications, etc.)
- If used on an overt marketing, advertising, or PR piece, this version should appear along with “Block M” or “Block M – Flint” somewhere on the same page/layout
University Logo Guidelines
- Put the most appropriate logo on all university communications
- Treat logos as artwork, not as typography
- Alter the logo in any way
- Stretch or distort logos
- Redraw or retype the logo. The “Flint” in the “Block M – Flint” is not a specific font so it cannot be recreated
- Replace the word “Flint” in the Split Block M with any other word
- Use any part of the logo, including the Block M, as part of another word
- Redesign, redraw, animate, modify, distort, or alter the proportions of any logo
- Surround a logo with—or place in the foreground over—a pattern or design
- Rotate or render the logo three-dimensionally
- Add words, images, or any other new elements to any logo
- Replace the approved typeface (font) with any other
- Enclose the logo in a shape or combine it with other design elements or effects
- Modify the size or position relationship of any element within the logo
- Add additional copy to the logo
- Show as an outline or add an outline to the original logo
- Put any logo over patterned or textured backgrounds
- Use other existing logos to create new ones without approval from University Relations (UR)
Ideally, all academic and non-academic departments at UM-Flint would use one of the following logos on all communications.
The reason for this has nothing to do with preventing departments from forging their own identity. It has everything do to with effectively reaching audiences. The fact of the matter is that the majority of people with whom any department will ever communicate view all UM-Flint departments as UM-Flint.
The Registrar’s Office does not need its own “brand” – or logo. It advances the brand of the entire university simply by providing excellent service. Likewise, academic departments do not need their own brand or logo. They advance the brand of the university simply by providing a premiere educational experience.
From an audience member's perspective, which is the only one that matters, when a department steps away from the UM-Flint “umbrella brand” in an attempt to “stand out” or “differentiate itself,” it risks losing all of the equity and positive attributes associated with both the University of Michigan-Flint and the entire University of Michigan system.
No matter how hard a department tries or how far “out there” it goes in an effort to create its own “look” for its own “brand,” it will never surpass the perception or level of recognition of the university as a whole.
Block M-Flint with Wordmark, Department Name Beneath Line
- This is the recommended department logo for all occasions
Block M-Flint with Department Name Right of Vertical Line
- The clean lines of this logo make it well-suited for a minimalist graphic design aesthetic and web layouts
Department Name Beneath Block M-Flint
- This logo should only be used when space limitations prohibit the use of the other two department logo options